Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chest & Neck Part 1

Here we go again.  I've started the chest plates and the neck plate.  First up, I gathered my reference photos, and printed everything out for my workshop.



The pieces were already primed (love that,) so I sprayed a layer of Rustoleum Aluminum over everything.


After they dried, I scuffed them up with 0000 steel wool so that the next layer of paint would stick better.  Metallic paint tends to be pretty slick, and I don't want the other layers to peel off.

The next layer is the yellow layer that shows through around the damaged areas.  So I used liquid mask to cover up the litle bits of silver that will need to show through later, and then I sprayed all the pieces with Rustoleum Line Painting Yellow.  Once that dried, I peeled off the liquid mask, and we're left with this:


Starting to come together!  The next and last layer will be the green.  Then I'll apply the decal in the upper left.  After that I can do the fun work of adding all the scratches and bumps.  Unfortunately, it's going to be rainy and humid here for the next couple of days, so I can't get to that just yet.

More soon!

~N

2 comments:

  1. would the humidity ruin the paint job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. It doesn't dry properly or stick to the layer under it properly.

    ReplyDelete